Managing key security in a Shopping Centre
Managing a shopping centre is busy work that runs around the clock, 24 hours a day. Keeping track of who has the security keys for various parts of the centre is normally the responsibility of a security team who signs out keys to contractors and tradespeople. It is important to keep track of who is responsible for the keys because if a significant key in a master key system is misplaced then the centre is at risk of illegal entry.
When a significant key is lost, a shopping centre needs to be re-keyed. This is an expensive exercise that takes up the time of operations staff within the centre to get the system re-keyed and redistribute keys.
In an effort to reduce the risk of keys being lost at the Castle Towers shopping centre in Sydney, Australia we installed a Keywatcher cabinet, to store a high-security Galaxy keying system and a wireless Access Control system by Salto Systems.
- An electronic key management cabinet that is connected to a database on the local area network (LAN).
- The 6-module cabinet holds 96 assets (assets can include keys and access control cards).
- Users are given a 4-digit user number and a 4-digit PIN number to use on the keypad on the front of the cabinet.
- Keys can be retrieved individually or as part of a group.
- Grouping keys is useful where you have many identical key bunches in the cabinet such as operations, security or cleaners bunches for example.
- When keys are retrieved from the cabinet a transaction is recorded in the database recording the user ID, the key number and the time it was taken.
- Reports can be generated that show an audit trail of the transactions.
Security guards can easily release keys from the cabinet for a contractor without leaving the security office. When a contractor arrives at security to sign in and they require keys then the guard can release a key by entering the name and phone number of the contractor in the key record in the database and clicking a button in the software to open the cabinet and release the key.
Independent Locksmiths & Security specialise in security for retailers and can provide key management solutions tailored to your needs. Feel free to call us if you are interested in a Keywatcher cabinet in your business.
1300 500 600